British Horseracing Authority looking at status of Monbeg Genius
Leading National contender is owned by Baroness Michelle Mone and her husband.
The British Horseracing Authority has said it is looking into how leading Randox Grand National contender Monbeg Genius may be affected by a freezing order placed on the assets of owners Baroness Michelle Mone and her husband Doug Barrowman. Assets linked to the couple have been frozen, as a National Crime Agency investigation into PPE firm Medpro continues. According to the Financial Times, about GBP 75million of assets, including a townhouse in Belgravia and an estate on the Isle of Man, have either been frozen or restrained following an application by the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS). Purchased for GBP 80,000 via a Goffs sale in November 2020, Monbeg Genius is trained by Jonjo O’Neill and was third in the Ultima Handicap at last year’s Cheltenham Festival when coming home behind subsequent National hero Corach Rambler and multiple Grade One winner Fastorslow, who is now among the favourites for the Gold Cup. He was most recently seen finishing third again in the Coral Gold Cup at Newbury in early December, but a setback meant he missed potential outings in the Welsh Grand National at Chepstow and the Classic Chase at Warwick. A spokesperson for racing’s governing body said: “The BHA is aware of reports regarding a court order in relation to the assets of Michelle Mone and Doug Barrowman.“We are in contact with the relevant individuals to understand what implication, if any, there are for their involvement with racing.” Speaking earlier this month, O’Neill said he hoped Monbeg Genius would come right in time for Aintree, but that he would need a run beforehand in order to make the cut for the race, which this year will have a reduced field of 34 runners, adding that should he not make the National then races like the Scottish National and Midlands National will be considered. His ante-post price for the National on April 13 ranges from 14-1 to 20-1. In a statement last week, a spokesman for the couple said: “Doug and Michelle did not contest the application (by the CPS) and were happy to offer up these assets, which means they can begin the task of proving their innocence more quickly.”
Follow us on Twitter racing365dotcom and like our Facebook page.
Latest
-
Horse Racing
Five JP McManus-owned horses Harry Cobden will be looking forward to riding next season
Cobden v McManus could be a formidable partnership.
-
Horse Racing
Everything you need to know about the 2026 Cheltenham Festival
The Cheltenham Festival remains the most important...
-
Horse Racing
What Is a box bet in horse racing and how do you place one?
Making Sense of Box Bets:...
-
Horse Racing
Four horses who could be targeted at Royal Ascot
As the flat season begins to gather...
-
Horse Racing
Kentucky Derby 2025 – all eyes on Journalism and Baffert
America’s biggest horse race looms on the...
-
Horse Racing
Cheltenham Festival 2025 – Bookies spared bumper payout after opening day carnage
Bookmakers were spared an estimated £50 million...
-
Horse Racing
Rider’s ocular accident underscores importance of protective eyewear
Amid non-stop negotiations surrounding the need to...
-
Horse Racing
Concerns over inadequate facilities for female jockeys as racecourses miss upgrade deadlines
The Professional Jockeys Association (PJA)...
-
Ramatuelle ruled out of Breeders’ Cup Mile bid
French ace scratched from Del Mar contest following veterinary advice.








