Henderson set to make Altior decision this weekend
Kempton and Ascot targets under consideration.
Nicky Henderson could decide this weekend whether Altior will make his next appearance at Kempton or Ascot. The brilliant 10-year-old has not been seen in competitive action since suffering his first defeat in 20 starts over obstacles when runner-up to Cyrname in a much-anticipated clash at Ascot in November. He missed an intended outing in last week’s Desert Orchid Chase due an abscess, but is set to return later this month – either in the Grade Two Unibet Silviniaco Conti at Kempton on January 11 or in the Clarence House at Ascot the following week. Speaking in his Unibet blog on Friday, Henderson said: “Altior was given an entry in the Clarence House Chase at Ascot and we also have the option of the Silviniaco Conti Chase at Kempton a week earlier. “His abscess has cleared up fine and he’s in rude health, so we’ll make a decision very shortly; probably Sunday once I’ve spoken to the Pughs (owners).” The Seven Barrows handler endured a disappointing start to 2020 at Cheltenham on New Year’s Day, with some disappointing results highlighted by the fall of Champ when seemingly set to win the Dipper Novices’ Chase.Henderson added: “It wasn’t the beginning to 2020 we hoped for and Champ was obviously the most high-profile ‘loser’ of the day. “He was travelling really well and I thought his jumping was excellent but he seemed to get distracted approaching the second-last and ultimately paid the price for his lack of concentration. “He was quite sore in his shoulder afterwards and is still a little bit stiff now, but I’m quite keen to give him another run before Cheltenham as you can’t go into an RSA off the back of a crashing fall like that. “We’ll have a look at something like the Reynoldstown Chase at Ascot.” Henderson also provided an update on plans for his potential Champion Hurdle squad, headed by Epatante, who leapt to the head of ante-post lists for the two-mile championship with a brilliant display in the Christmas Hurdle on Boxing Day. “Epatante probably won’t run again until the Unibet Champion Hurdle as she doesn’t really need to, but Call Me Lord could head up to Haydock for the New One Unibet Champion Hurdle Trial on January 18,” said Henderson. “I also need to get another run into Pentland Hills, although where that will be I haven’t decided yet; maybe the Contenders Hurdle at Sandown.”
Follow us on Twitter racing365dotcom and like our Facebook page.
Latest
-
Horse Racing
All you need to know about Tattersalls Irish 2,000 Guineas
The Tattersalls Irish 2,000 Guineas takes centre...
-
Horse Racing
The Laurel Park leap – 5 betting angles for a wide-open Preakness Stakes
The 151st Preakness Stakes arrives on Saturday,...
-
Horse Racing
7 things you never knew about the Kentucky Derby
Few sporting events carry the blend of...
-
Horse Racing
Kentucky Derby 2026: 5 essential betting angles for The Run For The Roses
The 152nd Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs...
-
Horse Racing
Newmarket Guineas Festival: Five essential betting angles for flat racing’s opening classic
The Newmarket Guineas is one of the highlights of the Flat season.
-
Horse Racing
The platinum circle: The 7 richest horse races on the global calendar
These are the richest races in the world.
-
Horse Racing
Ayr-borne ambition: The 2026 Scottish Grand National preview
Your complete guide to the Scottish Grand National 2026 at Ayr.
-
Horse Racing
The Aintree legend: Everything you need to know ahead of Grand National 2026
Following the glamour of the Dubai World...
-
Horse Racing
The $1.25million race that could change the entire Derby picture
The Blue Grass Stakes 2026 is a crucial Kentucky Derby prep, offering 100 qualifying points and featuring top contenders.
-
Horse Racing
Racing’s richest night: six key things to know before Dubai World Cup 2026
The Dubai World Cup is fast approaching









