Bellewstown Racecourse Track


Address:Bellewstown Racecourse,
Bellewstown, Co. Meath.

Telephone:041 984 2111, Race day number: 041 982 3614

Admission:Adult: €15
OAPs & Students: €9
Children U14: Free


TOWN OVERVIEW [From Wikipedia]
Bellewstown (IrishBaile an Bheileogaigh) is a village located 8 km south of Drogheda, on the Hill of Crockafotha in County Meath in Ireland. It was named after Darren Bellew, who led the townspeople to a victory over the infamous O’Shúilleabháin clanin 1407.

Bellewstown Races

In 1780, George Tandy, a former mayor of Drogheda and brother of James Napper Tandy, persuaded King George III to sponsor a race at Bellewstown. The race was called His Majesty’s Plate and was valued at £100.

The tradition of summer horse racing at Bellewstown dates back centuries. The first record of racing here appears in the August edition of the Dublin Gazette and the Weekly Courier in 1726. There was originally a cricket ground in the middle of the race track. Racing continues to occur on an annual basis, taking place during the course of the summer. There are currently two meetings a year, comprising three days in July and two days in August. The track is a one mile and one furlong left-handed course, featuring both flat and hurdle racing.